Requirements to Study in Australia when you are from India
Part 1: Context
Located in the Southern Part of the Pacific Ocean, Australia still ranks as the third most popular study destination for International Students after the US and UK.
Australian Universities have a good reputation due to its education System and are continuously featured in the Global rankings for years.
In this article, we will be dealing with two kinds of requirements that you as an applicant from India are required to meet, in order to study in Australia.
- Entry Requirements
- Student Visa Requirements
But before we dive into the things you need to have to study in Australia, you should understand the difference between Entry Requirements and Student Visa Requirements.
The Entry Requirements are a set of requirements, that applicants must meet in order to be eligible to study a particular course in a particular institution.
As educational institutions have the liberty to set their own entry requirements, it might differ on the basis of the level of study, faculty and educational institution.
The Student Visa Requirements are a set of requirements an applicant must meet, in order to be
granted the visa to study in Australia. It is set by the Department of Home Affairs (DoFA) and is same for all applicants irrespective of the faculty, institution or the country they are applying
Part 2: Entry Requirements
To achieve your goal of studying in Australia, you will need to fulfill the following requirements:
I) Academic Requirements
The academic requirements that you will need to fulfill in order to be eligible to study in Australia will depend on the Level of Education, Educational Institution and Faculty.
A University might ask 60% for Business Programs, 65% for IT Programs, and 75% for Engineering Programs.
Whereas, another University may accept students with 60 % in their 10+2 into their Engineering Program.
For Indian Students
Although we can’t generalize the entry requirements, our experience has shown that minimum academic record of 60% and above in class XII will be required. Foundations and Diploma programs are available for students who have secured below 60% could be taken as a guideline for aspiring Indian applicants.
Note: We recommend you check the requirements of your course and each educational institution if you are applying to more than one institution.
Will gap years between my last degree and current application affect my chances of getting accepted?
The gap years can be justified if the student has valid proofs and documents to show his
engagement in some sort of study program or work experience.
Although students aiming to study in Australia have to produce No Backlog Certificate,
certifying him to have cleared all his units in his/her undergrad.
II) English Language Requirements
Indian applicants are required to provide a result of English language test as proof their English language capability.
Educational institutions want to know that the applicants are able to live and study in English speaking School and country.
Australia accepts the following English Language Tests:
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
- Cambridge English Advanced (CAE)
- Occupational English Test (OET)
- Pearson Test of English( PTE)
Note: Please make sure which of these tests are accepted for your course by your institution of choice.
For Indian Students
To be able to apply for a student visa to Australia, you would need a minimum test score of 5.5, as for immigration purposes, the minimum or competent IELTS score of 6.0 or more is desirable and can go up to a total score of 8.0 and above.
Some programs such as medicine, law, nursing, and teaching have higher IELTS requirements.
Note: Educational institutions have the liberty to set their own English language requirement, so we highly recommend that you go through the entry requirements set by the institutions of choice before you start preparing for the English language test.
Part 3: Student Visa Requirements
As mentioned earlier, Student Visa Requirements are the set of requirements that applicants must fulfill irrespective of their faculty, institution, level of study or country they are applying from, in order to be granted a Student Visa.
The following is the list of Student Visa Requirements stipulated by the Department of Home Affairs (DoHA) for Students from India:
- Enroll in a full-time course registered on CRICOS and provide a Certificate of Enrollment (COE) as evidence
- Have sufficient funds to cover total expenses of one year, including tuition fees, living and travel cost through bank loans, money deposit, and scholarships or demonstrate annual earnings of AUD 60K (of parents or spouse) for a single applicant or AUD 70K if bringing the family to Australia
- Provision of documents giving details about the source of funding. Home Minister accepts and recognizes banks that are regulated by the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) for funds and loans:
– SBI and Associates
– Nationalized Banks
– Other Public Sector Banks
– Private Sector Banks – (Indian Banks not including Payment Banks or Local Area Banks)
– Foreign banks
– Regional Rural Banks
- In addition to the funding requirements set by the DoHA, your application is seen in a positive light if you can demonstrate good financial status in the form of ongoing income and assets in the home country
- Meet the English language requirement through a test taken within the past 2 years. Current minimum scores without ELICOS: IELTS (5.5), TOEFL (46), PTE (42), CAE (162), OET (B)
- You must provide an Acceptance Advice of Secondary Exchange Students (AASES)
- Form or Letter of Support (LoS) if sponsored
- Maintain health insurance for the entire stay through OSHC with an approved Australian health insurance provider
- Be a genuine temporary entrant and intend to return home after completing studies
What are the documents required to lodge a Student Visa in Australia?
- Student Visa Application Form properly filled and signed (Form 157A)
- Family Composition Form properly filled and signed (Form 54)
- Relationship proof. If you are applying with a spouse, evidence of the ‘genuine and continuing’ nature of your relationship with your spouse. Marriage certificate or any other document explaining your mentioned status
- Change of name. If you or any person in your visa application form has changed their name, you should provide certified copy or copies of document validating the name change. A marriage certificate will also do
- Copies of passport and Identity proofs of each one of the persons mentioned in the application
- An authorized copy of your Birth Certificate
- National Identity Card
- Driving Licence
- Recent passport size photographs for each person mentioned in the visa application. The photograph must not be older than 6 months
- Proof of study. Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) from the registered education institution for the desired course
- The CoE is a mandatory document for issuing Australia Student Visa. The CoE should contain:
– Student’s entry level
– Course Name
– CRICOS course name
– Education provider code
– Stipulated start and end dates of the course
– Full tuition fees
Authorized copies of your academic credentials. All these copies must contain:
– Your full name
– Date and Title of certification
– Name of the institution
– Confirmation of the certification
- Statement of Purpose that is included in the application explaining the relevance of the chosen course to past studies/employment and proposed future plan justify your choice Medical reports of your as well as your family member supporting you
- Parental Consent, if you are under 18 years of age
- Evidence of joint financial assets or liabilities (if applicable) such as joint ownership of
property or joint bank accounts – Evidence of the social nature of the relationship such as
photos together in various places, statements from friends/family members, loan to cover dependent’s living
- CV & copy of research topic, if you are a research student
- Tax Clearance Certificate
These are all documents required if you’re a student applying for Australia from India. It’s more viable to consult with your educational institution’s requirements as every institution devises its own requirements.